Saturday, January 26, 2013

Programming the Turnigy 9x

The next step is to program up the Turnigy 9x transmitter so you can fly it without it being too unstable.  I had to do a lot of looking around on the internet to find the proper set-up, and there are a few different configurations that I am going to try... I'm not sure which one will work best and I have seen people advocating both of them.  You can hold several different setups in the memory, so I put these in slots #1 and #2.

You'll need to read the manual to learn how to navigate through the menus and to set the buttons, but here are the setups that I went with:
Setup #1
Model Name: Quad-H
Model Type: Heli
Type Select: Heli-2
Modulation: PPM
Stick Setup: Mode 2
Then in function settings you'll go with the following:
Reverses: Aileron = Normal; Elevator = Reverse; Throttle = Reverse; Rudder = Normal
Throttle Curve = Linear 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%
End Points = Aileron = 50%, Elevator = 50%, Throttle = 100%, Rudder = 100%
Throttle Hold = -30%


Setup #1
Model Name: Quad-P
Model Type: Acrobat
Type Select: NA
Modulation: PPM
Stick Setup: Mode 2
Then in function settings you'll go with the following:
Reverses: Aileron = Normal; Elevator = Reverse; Throttle = Reverse; Rudder = Normal
Throttle Curve = Linear 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%
End Points = Aileron = 50%, Elevator = 50%, Throttle = 100%, Rudder = 100%
Throttle Hold = -30%


I'm going to test both of them out and see what works the best.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, have you tried the two setups ? What do you think is best ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go with the plane mode - if you go with Heli mode the remote tries to send some swash plate feedback which makes everything go haywire.

    The endpoints are a good stable setting at 50/50 on aileron and elevator, but if you want to do flips you'll need to up that number to 70 or so (I'm not there yet - all my flips are accidental).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, did you find a way to disable the swash plate feedback? im having the same problem

      Delete
    2. Roger,

      If you set up the turnigy 9x using an airplane setting (an acrobat model seems to work well) there is no feedback for swash plate. So - DO NOT USE a Heli set up - it will caue problems.

      Delete
  3. can anybody help i,m using a turnigy 9x transmitter with a kk2 board for my first quadcopter build but have a problem trimming my aileron setting to 0 currently at -39 and no end of adjustment on trim and subtrim on the 9x will bring it to nearer 0 all other setting have trimmed to 0 ok can anybody suggest anything thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul - to help me better understand your problem, are you saying that it is stuck at -39 on the aileron setting and when you go to the setup mode that pressing the buttons won't change it or only changes on setting?
    If that is the case, then move the aileron stick to move between high and low settings.
    If that's not the case, try to give me a bit more of an explanation and I'll help out if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, New here and trying to get my Tricopter to work right.. Can i use the plane mode and the same settings listed above for my Tricopter? Also i have been trying to get my Throttle left stick to work but down is full throttle and up is none. To me that is backwards. Also i am trying to set my right stick to work my Yaw, but as of now both are on my left stick and it's hard to use that way. I am very new with the Turnigy 9x and most of all lost. Thanks for any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To solve that problem you will need to reverse your throttle curve... just got into settings and then select reverses and change the throttle one.

      Sorry for the delay in the reply, but I was on vacation.

      Cam

      Delete
  6. Hi I am back and tried to use this setup that you posted.
    Setup #1 #2 ?
    Model Name: Quad-P
    Model Type: Acrobat
    Type Select: NA
    Modulation: PPM
    Stick Setup: Mode 2
    Then in function settings you'll go with the following:
    Reverses: Aileron = Normal; Elevator = Reverse; Throttle = Reverse; Rudder = Normal
    Throttle Curve = Linear 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%
    End Points = Aileron = 50%, Elevator = 50%, Throttle = 100%, Rudder = 100%
    Throttle Hold = -30%
    However i could not find the Throttle Curve settings. Now i have another problem and that is that when i arm the board and give it throttle it sounds like a rocket ready to take off but just will not leave the ground.. I am very confused... Help Please !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave,

      Go with the Quad-P setup... for the throttle curve settings, if you haven't changed anything it will default to to linear at the above settings.
      For the throttle curve I made a typo - there is no throttle curve setting for an airplane mode... that is only in heli mode, so isn't applicable.
      Three thoughts on your problem:
      1) make sure that on the end points that you have the throttle set so that when the stick is all the way up that it is at 100%.
      2)check and make sure that your engine/prop/weight will get you off the ground: the www.ecalc.ch website will help you with this.
      3) make sure that you have you props configured correctly

      If that doesn't work, shoot me another message and I will take a second look at it.

      Delete
  7. Can someone help me out with a real good mix for a 500 vtail quadcopter using the 9x transmitter and receiver?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete